'Hobbit' joins human family tree
'Hobbit' joins human family tree (BBC: 27-Oct-04)
Scientists have discovered a new and tiny species of human that lived in Indonesia at the same time our own ancestors were colonising the world. The three-foot (one-metre) tall species - dubbed "the Hobbit" - lived on Flores island until at least 12,000 years ago… The discovery has been hailed as one of the most significant of its type in decades.
The archaeological/anthropological story of the year.
- Let's Not Call Them Hobbits (my comments on this story)
- EPORG discovered and traduced (Peter McGrath, FCD)
- Flores Man Special (Nature)
- "Hobbit" Discovered: Tiny Human Ancestor Found in Asia (National Geographic)
- Tiny new species of human unearthed (New Scientist)
- From 18,000 years ago, the one metre-tall human that challenges history of evolution (Guardian)
- Our not so distant relative (Guardian)
- …and many, many more