The second of Stephen Jay Gould’s long-running series of popular science essay collections that first appeared in his monthly column in Natural History magazine, The Panda’s Thumb covers topics including:
- how imperfections in organisms’ demonstrate their evolutionary history;
- Charles Darwin and his theories;
- human evolution;
- science and politics;
- the rate at which evolution occurs;
- early life;
- how Nature’s ‘rejects’ were anything but;
- how animals’ life-spans (and other attributes) are affected by their size.
As with all of Gould’s essay collections, this is a fantastic book.